(ADOPTED BY THE BOARD OF MANAGEMENT ON 07/02/2006)
1. Policy Statement:
It is the policy of Coláiste Mhuire:
• that each student be assigned homework daily;
• that homework should be undertaken to the best of each students ability;
• that homework tasks be appropriate in terms of time and ability level of students.
(1) This Policy is based on sound educational theory and practice and is central to the fulfilment of the aspirations of the schools mission statement:
(2) Homework is prescribed for the following reasons:
• to enable the student to become an efficient learner;
• to enable the student to develop short term and long term memory skills;
• to enable the student to master such skills and concepts as are demanded by the curriculum and
• to enable the teacher to monitor and evaluate, on a regular basis, the progress being made by a student.
3. Homework Composition:
Homework will generally be comprised of the following 3 elements:
(1) Written work, which is to be submitted to the teacher for inspection.
(2) Reading and study of material covered in class or in preparation of material about to be covered.
(3) Revision of material already covered on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis.
• Note that reading, study and revision of material is of equal importance to the written element.
4. The Teacher:
• The Teacher will assign homework and the homework assigned will be noted accurately by the student in his journal.
• The Teacher will keep a record of the homework performance of each student and report those in need of attention to Year Head and or Parents as appropriate.
5. The Student:
• The student will note all homework assigned whether reading, revision or written type homework.
• Homework should be done to the best of a students ability.
• Homework will be undertaken at home or at evening study.
• When a student has been absent from a class, he should acquire the assigned homework from another pupil and complete the work required.
(1) Parent(s)/Guardian(s) will as far as possible:
• provide a suitable location, free of distraction, for homework;
• regularly inspect the student journal and
• encourage student spends a reasonable time at homework
(2) Suggested homework minimum duration.
• 1st Years – 1 ½ hours per evening
• 2nd Years – 2 hours per evening
• 3rd Years – 2 ½ hours per evening
• Senior students – 3 to 4 hours per evening
7. The School:
• Being a student is a full time occupation involving class time of 28 hours and homework and study of 15 hours;
• Accordingly the school strongly recommends that casual part-time paid employment not be undertaken by students during the week;
• In addition the school also recommends that students of THIRD YEAR Junior Cert. and FINAL YEAR Leaving Cert. students should not take any employment and that a minimum of 4 hours study and revision be undertaken each weekend
• Finally, the school will endeavour to impart efficient learning/studying skills and techniques to students by organising an annual study seminar and by providing a concise handout on study skills to each student.